Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT DOES A MILITARY CAREER DO FOR YOU ?
- Regular employment either as a commissioned officer or a regular soldier, where you will be given basic as well as extensive training in various fields;
- A possibility to learn and train in various skills;
- An opportunity to operate and carry out maintenance work on cars, helicopters, patrol boats, firearms and other military equipment;
- The opportunity to take part in ceremonial parades and military activities locally and abroad;
- It helps you to form a disciplined character, enabling you to be of service to yourself and to others
- Provides facilities for study and work, locally and abroad, in order to progress and succeed in your military career.
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO ENLIST IN THE FORCE ?
- Be physically fit according to current military standards;
- Be 18 years of age and not having attained the age of 27 years by the closing date of call for applications in case of Regular Soldiers.
- Be 18 years of age and not more than 30 years by closing date of call for applications in case of Soldier Musicians.
- Be 18 years of age and not having attained the age of 30 by closing date of call for applications in case of Soldier Athletes.
- Be 18 years of age and not having attained the age of 27 years by the closing date of applications in the case of applicants applying for Officer Cadets and Sea going Officer Cadet.
- Be 18 years of age and not having attained the age of 30 years by the closing date of applications in the case of applicants applying for the posts of Air Pilot Officer Cadet.
- Be a Maltese citizen;
- Possess a clean Police Conduct;
- Have a minimum height of 1.57m for males and 1.52m for females;
- Have a secondary level of education to enlist as Gunner;
- Be in possession of an A-level pass in at least two subjects and an O-level pass in an other six subjects of GCE standard or equivalent, to enlist as an Officer Cadet;
- Have the inclination and motivation necessary for military life.
WHAT WILL YOU GAIN BY JOINING THE ARMY ?
- A special monthly allowance and other allowances for specialist qualifications;
- All soldiers receive an annual trade allowance if they work in their trade;
- Sunday duty allowance;
- Free military clothing and equipment;
- Free medical care and medicines;
- Full pension after completion of 25 years service.